Friday, December 2, 2011

My Dad's Apple Salad with a twist


My dad originally made this apple salad one day many years ago when my siblings and all were young and we lived on the farm.  I attribute my cooking different uncharted foods to my dad's creations.  I can remember eating brains and much more! (yeah, I said brains! not bad with scrambled eggs...)

The twist in this salad, he used chocolate chips with his and I like to use chocolate covered raisins.









My Dad's Apple Salad with a Twist

4 Large Red-skinned Apples (cored  and chopped)
1/3 cup Walnuts (chopped)
1/8 cup Celery (chopped)
1/2 cup Chocolate Covered Raisins 
(could use Yogurt Covered Craisins, but chocolate adds a contrast in color)
1/2 cup of Mayonnaise or Vanilla Yogurt (your preference, more if desired)
1 Lemon (zest & juice) (reserve zest)
1-2 teaspoons of Sugar (optional)
Salt & Pepper to Taste



  1. Core and chop apples
  2. Zest one lemon and reserve.
  3. Juice lemon over cut apples to retard browning.
  4. Add Chopped Walnuts.
  5. Add Chopped Celery.
  6. Add Chocolate Covered Raisins.
  7. Fold in Mayonnaise or Yogurt.
  8. Fold in Lemon Zest, Sugar and adjust seasonings to desire.
This salad is similar to the Waldorf Salad and variations of Turkey, Chicken, or Grapes may be added.  A 1/2 cup of Marshmallows can also be added.



My Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment