Sunday, April 8, 2012

HAM TETRAZENEE


Graden Family Farm est. 1872

This is from my families cookbook that my mother put together many years ago...  

My Grandmother made this every family holiday by request as my mother, aunts, and many others tried to make it but it never seemed to be as good as Grandma's.  One year, she had me come over when I was a teen and showed me how to make it.  I think that I have come pretty close to Grandma's and have shared this recipe with a few people and they have all loved it.

So I share this family secret with you all, enjoy!


HAM TETRAZENEE
(Grandma Graden)

1/4 cup finely chopped onion      
1/2 cup melted butter     
1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms sliced
1/3 cup flour                  
2 cups milk 2 cups half n half 
2 T. cooking cherry (optional)
1/4 tsp. salt          
dash of garlic salt & pepper        
3/4 shredded Parmesan cheese
1 (7 oz.) pkg. spaghetti cooked         
2 cups small thinly sliced cooked ham pieces

Directions:

Sauté onion in butter until transparent.  
Add mushrooms and cook until tender.  
Blend in flour.  
Stir in milk and half n half slowly, so it doesn't lump.  
Continue stirring until mixture is smooth and thickened.  
Add sherry, salts, and pepper.  
Mix together 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan, spaghetti in bottom of 2 qt. greased shallow baking dish.  
Cover with alternative layers of sauce and ham ending with sauce.  
Sprinkle with remaining cheese over top.  
Cover and bake in moderate oven (325 degrees) until bubbly around edges for 20-25 minutes.  
Makes 6 to 8 servings or more.
(When doubling use a 2 lb. box.)


I dug this up and posted it last night cause a friend of mine that lives down in the Gulf was looking for something to make with some ham she had and needed to use.  Today she posted a pic of what she ended up with and I am going to share it here.  She ended up adding Peas to it and thought it was really good.  I am looking at it like my Chef Instructor would and thought what is it missing?  Some red, right!  I think some Red Bell Peppers, roast and diced into small dice would compliment it and provide the red it needs...

Picture compliments of Lisianna Emmett

No comments:

Post a Comment