Monday, July 2, 2012

Menu of my father's birthday Dinner


Menu of my father's birthday Dinner


The menu was: Grilled Salmon, Green Onion Risotto, Grilled Asparagus, Sweet Corn, a fresh salad with Pinot Noir Vinagrette, and seedless Watermelon. 

Now someone asked me for the recipe for the Green Onion Risotto and also the one for my Pinot Noir Vinaigrette...
I did not really keep to anyone recipe but here was my responses to that question:

This is the recipe that I used for the risotto; (had my son make it while I did other task for the meal and watched over his shoulder.) 

Also added a touch of Shallot and a pinch of Garlic along with finish with a palmful of fresh chopped parsley for additional color. (hope you are able to translate that, as I did not measure them.)

If I were plating this for anyone other than my family the risotto would have been used as a bed for the salmon and asparagus.

Ingredients

4 cups (or more) low-salt chicken broth
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
1 bunch green onions, (white parts finely chopped, green parts thinly sliced)
1 cup arborio or medium-grain rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons mascarpone cheese or whipping cream (we used Philidelphia Cream Cheese - a little less than 20% of it with a teaaspoon of whole milk)
1 teaspoon finely grated orange peel

Preparation

Bring broth to simmer in medium saucepan over medium heat.
Reduce heat to low and keep warm.
Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
Add chopped green onions and cook untilsoft, stirring often, about 6 minutes.
Stir in rice.
Add wine; cook until almost all liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes.
Add 4 cups broth, 1 cup at a time, cooking until almost all broth is absorbed before adding more,stirring frequently, until rice is tender but stillfirm, about 20 minutes.
Stir in sliced green onions, Parmesan, mascarpone, and orange peel.
Add more broth by 1/4cupfuls as needed if dry.
Season with salt and pepper.


Pinot Noir Vinaigrette

I used the general rule of thumb as you can see on Wikipedia:

"Vinaigrette generally consists of 3 parts of oil to 1 part of vinegar whisked into an emulsion. Salt and pepper are often added. Herbs and shallots are added, especially when it is used as a sauce for cooked vegetables, grains, and the like. Sometimes mustard is used as an emulsifier."


I used a combination of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Vegetable Oil as my mother dislikes the taste of Olive Oil. (I know she is crazy!)

Wine to make up the acid part, along with squeezing a half lemon and orange, plus the orange zest.

Sea Salt & Fresh ground black pepper to taste.

Garlic & Shallots minced along with some green onion.

A dash of minced Dill. (freeze dried)

A teaspoon of light Agave.

A touch of liquid smoke.

and finished it off with a touch of the fresh parsley again. (minced)

I made about 2 cups...

Used it to marinade the Salmon, Asparagus, and as a salad dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment