Saturday, July 25, 2009

Mexican Gumbo w/Chicken


Mexican Gumbo w/ Chicken
By: Kelli Venezia & Skip Graden


1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed of fat and diced (Grill Chicken for additional flavor, any other meats such as Steak, Chorizo, or season Ground Beef may be added or substituted)
3 cups frozen bell pepper and onion mix (about 10 ounces) (1 pkg Southwest Blend of Fajita Veggies) or Grilled/Roast Fresh
1 tablespoon ground cumin (less if desired, 1 teaspoon for mild, 2 for medium)
2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, preferably with green chiles
1 15-ounce can Black Beans drained
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons lime juice (prefer fresh Lime)
1 cup Instant Rice
1 cup V-8 Juice
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (add some just before boiling, reserve the rest for garnish)
3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
Sour Cream & Chips for garnish

Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. (Unless you have previously Grilled the chicken and veggies) Transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon.
Add pepper-onion mix and cumin to the pot, still complete this step if previously grilled roasted the veggies. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are lightly browned, or if previously Grilled warmed through, about 4 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes, black beans, pepper and lime juice; bring to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes more.
Return the chicken and any accumulated juice, add the rice & V-8 Juice, at this time to the pot and bring to a low boil then reduce heat to a simmer, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in cilantro. Garnish with Chips, Cheese, Cilantro, & Sour Cream.

EDIT 9/20/15: As I read this over after completion of becoming Certified Culinarian (actual chef), I am seeing some changes that I would use that I think may elevate a great soup. I would add a small dice of carrots and celery to the peppers and onions. (snd if threre is time to fire roast them before sauteing that would be optimal.) I may also add some minced jalapeno, maybe 1/2 of one? Dependant of how much heat you desire??? Lastly instead of rice, Quinoa could be used.  It adds to the protien punch as Quinoa has 8 of the 9 essential amino acids needed to consider it a perfect protien!

3 comments:

  1. Okay, 1st, YUM! I want to try. 2nd...as a Cajun, that is so far from Gumbo you can't call it Gumbo. I have enough problems trying to tell people that tomatoes DO NOT GO IN GUMBO! lol. *phew* Also, there is no roux. or okra. Okay. I'm done. Sorry. I love you. You know I do and I seriously am tryin' this one out. I just won't call it gumbo because my hubby will be highly disappointed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I read this over after completion of becoming Certified Culinarian (actual chef), I am seeing some changes that I would use that I think may elevate a great soup. I would add a small dice of carrots and celery to the peppers and onions. (snd if threre is time to fire roast them before sauteing that would be optimal.) I may also add some minced jalapeno, maybe 1/2 of one? Dependant of how much heat you desire??? Lastly instead of rice, Quinoa could be used. It adds to the protien punch as Quinoa has 8 of the 9 essential amino acids needed to consider it a perfect protien!

    ReplyDelete